Job Description – Country Director Tajikistan
Aubagne, 10 February 2012
Groupe Energies Renouvelables, Environnement et Solidarités
2, cours Foch - 13400 Aubagne - France
Tél : +33 4 42 18 55 88 - Fax : +33 4 42 03 01 56 – www.geres.eu - email@example.com
Association Loi 1901, à but non lucratif.
COUNTRY DIRECTOR GERES TAJIKISTAN
POSITION BASE IN DUSHANBE (TAJIKISTAN)
CDDU 18 MONTHS
Line manager: Alain Guinebault, General Director
GERES - Groupe Energies Renouvelables, Environnement et Solidarités - is a French non-profit NGO
created in 1976 after the first Oil Shock.
Environmental conservation, climate change mitigation and adaptation, reducing energy poverty, and improving
livelihood of the poor are the main focus areas for GERES. The GERES team is particularly involved in the
implementation, in partnership with local stakeholders and communities, of engineering solutions for
development and providing specific technical expertise.
Activities include conducting energy efficiency programs, providing decentralized energy services for local
economic development, supporting and developing renewable energies and promoting waste management.
Today, more than 185 staff members work on 40 innovative and sustainable development projects in France
and in 12 developing countries.
In cold regions (India, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia)
GERES is leading projects in the Hindu Kush Himalayas (India, Nepal and China) on agro solar activities
(Ashden Award 2009, www.solargreenhouse.org) and household energy. In Central Asia, GERES has been
active since 2000, mainly in Afghanistan. Some actions have been implemented since 2008 in Kirghizstan and
Tajikistan. All actions implemented in cold regions are focusing on:
· Implementation of energy saving and energy efficient solar technologies to reduce household and service
sector heating needs in cold areas;
· Implementation of rural energy services (grid access, Income Generation Activities promotion);
· Implementation of small scale actions on climate change awareness and mobilization.
A project of setting a regional coordination over Afghanistan – Tajikistan is on process and is likely to emerge
within the coming 2 years. A joined project proposal has been made to the AFD (French Cooperation) to this
end and is currently in the process of being examined.
Job Description-Country Director Tajikistan GERES 2/4
In Tajikistan, the proportion of people living below the poverty line can reach 74%. The extremely harsh living
conditions in this area are characterized by ** dry summers and long rigorous winters (temperatures can drop
below -15°C and rainfall can be dramatically low). When the region is in the grip of winter, economic
opportunities are severely squeezed. The very short farming season is constrained by substantial degradation of
the soils and natural resources. Intensive and unmanaged use of chemical fertilizers during the Soviet era
caused long-lasting contamination of the soil. Since USSR collapse, the population massively copes with the
energy scarcity situation by using locally available natural resources especially firewood. It leads to massive
GERES has held a permanent representation office in Tajikistan since 2011, implementing a 3 year project for a
budget of 1 Mio Euros co financed by the European Union. GERES Tajikistan works in collaboration with ADSP
Nau, a local NGO focusing on Community Base mobilization and institutional strengthening and CAMP Kuhistan,
a local NGO focusing on energy.
The project aims to enhance agricultural income and to promote improved domestic energy solutions for
vulnerable households in cold mountainous areas in Sughd province.
In February 2012, the project team consists of 3 expatriate staff from GERES, 5 local GERES staff and 10 local
staff from the partner organizations. The project is based in Ayni and Asht districts (Sughd) with a GERES back
office in Dushanbe.
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The Country Director is the head of the office in Tajikistan and represents GERES with all external partners and
interlocutors locally and in the region, in consultation with the General Manager based in France. (S)he is the
head of the core management team and ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of the operational activities of
GERES in Tajikistan.
The Country Director is responsible for the following activities:
Administrative and financial management/logistics
· (S)he assures compliance of all internal rules and procedures of GERES Tajikistan (Management control);
· (S)he assures compliance with contractual obligations to funders and suggests appropriate operating tools;
· (S)he assures compliance with legal obligations in Tajikistan and suggests appropriate operating tools;
· (S)he coordinates the preparation of annual budgets (project and operational) and monitors these budgets
throughout the year;
· (S)he monitors and assures cash-flow management;
· (S)he monitors and oversees the allocation of expenditure;
· (S)he supervises funding applications;
· (S)he manages budgets and treasury
· (S)he monitors the local administration on financial and accounting operations
· (S)he ensures the compliance towards the legislation
· (S)he sets up security procedures for GERES Tajikistan.
Human resource management
· (S)he manages a multidisciplinary team of 6 persons
· (S)he is responsible for the overall management of the human resources of GERES Tajikistan;
· (S)he ensures timely and effective recruitment, training and assessment of GERES Tajikistan’s local and
· (S)he builds a strong identity within the team, by setting clear expectations, circulating information,
building capacity, etc.
· (S)he manages the relation with the partners
· (S)he liaises with the HQ
Coordination and monitoring of activities
· (S)he coordinates the work of GERES team in Tajikistan and partner NGOs on activities included in the
annual strategy plan and/or GERES contractual commitments to its funders;
· (S)he provides methodological support to the teams, with the support of technical advisers from
headquarters and external experts;
· (S)he handles and/or oversees the monitoring & evaluation of activities and organization/running of followup
· (S)he acts as GERES representative in Tajikistan to the various partners and wider development
stakeholders, with and in support of the Technical staff in the country office and at HQ;
· (S)he ensures clear communications and coordination with GERES headquarters, mainly with the HQ
Job Description-Country Director Tajikistan GERES 3/4
Management of partnership relations
· (S)he oversees the preparation of partnership agreements and partners administrative and financial
· (S)he develops new strategic partnerships;
· (S)he assesses the quality of partnerships;
· (S)he ensures co-operation with the local authorities.
Fundraising & Development
The main responsibilities are:
- To identify local and regional opportunities corresponding to the GERES activities
- To finalize the financing plan on on-going activities
- To answer opportunities for financing on a case by case basis
In line with these three main activities:
· (S)he identifies and prospects for financial partners, mainly in Tajikistan, to co-fund ongoing projects;
· (S)he guides the process of drafting of project documents, feasibility studies, etc.;
· (S)he explores opportunities for organizational development in Tajikistan and in the sub region;
· (S)he organizes the capitalization and knowledge management;
· (S)he contributes to the process of setting a regional coordination over Afghanistan and Tajikistan.
Institutional representation in Tajikistan and taking part in the governance of GERES
The two key points are:
- The country strategy
- Participation in the set up of the global strategy
In line with these two key points:
· (S)he shares and participates in developing the strategy of GERES Tajikistan in line with GERES global
strategy, in collaboration with headquarters and oversees its implementation through all current actions;
· (S)he ensures linkage and feedback with head office, distributes information and takes part in GERES
· (S)he is in charge of elaborating and implementing GERES strategy in Tajikistan;
· (S)he facilitates and assists with the preparation of a regional strategy;
· (S)he facilitates exchanges of technical and methodological information between projects to improve their
technical quality and foster the development of in-house skills;
· (S)he is a member of the managers’ steering committee and handling cross-cutting exercises (strategic
recruitment for GERES head office, organizing the annual strategy seminar, HR exercises, etc.).
Training: Graduate degree in the field of Economics / Environment / Development
· Minimum 5 years of international cooperation with 3 years in developing countries;
· Working in economic/social development with project management and/or country office organization
· Experience of cooperating with multiple local partners.
Languages, IT skills: Fluent in English, Russian and French an asset, sound knowledge of office software.
Desirable skills: Knowledge of rural energy, rural habitat and environmental issues.
Desirable qualities: Excellent communication and persuasion skills, ability to lead a multicultural project
team, to convince, work in partnership and facilitate consensus; ability to work independently and remotely;
diplomacy & teaching skills; a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing high workload and multiple tasks
in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines; an understanding of and commitment to GERES mission and
Geographical mobility: Occasional international travel and frequent regional travel.
Job Description-Country Director Tajikistan GERES 4/4
· Duration: 18 months temporary contract
· Based in Dushanbe (Tajikistan), travelling to international and regional destinations is to be expected
· Under the direct responsibility of the GERES General Director
· Requested start date: July 2012
· Paid round-trip ticket for initial taking up of position + annual round-trip ticket
· Paid repatriation insurance
· Health, unemployment and retirement insurances (cost is shared between GERES and the employee)
· Salary: between 2560 and 2930 Euros gross salary per month (according to experience) + 450 EUR
monthly housing allowance paid locally
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your curriculum vitae and cover letter by the 5th of June at the latest to
firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the following reference: OM1201.FCT.REC.GTA_CountryDir (please do not